Journal of a tour through part of France, Wirtemburg, Baden, Bavaria, Austria, Saxony, Prussia, Mecklensburg, Danemark, Sweden made on a tour commencing in October 1824 through parts of Norway, Finnish Lapland, Finland, Prussia.
- 1824 October 24-1826 March 2
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (162 p.) ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process D919.P37 J68 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The collections of the Yale Center for British also include an augmented copy of the present journal, made by Parker's sister, Lady Mary Leighton (cataloged separately: D919.P37 J68 1824a+): The journal and letters of the late Thomas Browne Parker, of Sweeney in the County of Salop, Esq. : during a tour with his friend Edward Joshua Cooper of Markree Castle in the Co. of Sligo, Esqre. M.P. : through Bavaria, Austria, Prussia, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Lapland, Russia, & the Crimea, in the years 1824, 1825, & 1826 / transcribed, arranged, and illustrated (with copies of the drawings made during the tour by the artist Sig. Bossi, sketches in the Crimea by T.B.P. &c., and insertion of portraits, prints, &c. collected by T.B.P. in his travels) by his affectionate sister Mary Leighton, Loton Park, 1835.
In the Shropshire County Archives, there is additional Parker material relating to the tour, including letters from Sweden and Russia to his family and a further account of his travels in Russia. The YCBA journal is a fair copy which terminates in St Petersburg with a description of the state funeral of Emperor Alexander in March 1826. The Shropshire account covers Moscow and may well be its sequel.
In pen and brown ink with corrections and alterations in pencil; all leaves ruled in pen and brown ink.
Half gilt tooled calf with marbled paper covers; original brass catch and clasp with monogrammed initials T.B.P.
Manuscript account made by Thomas Browne Parker (1797-1833) of his travels to Germany, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Lapland and Russia between October 24 1824 and March 2nd 1826. Parker came from a mildly eccentric family of Shropshire gentry, was educated at Eton and Oriel College, Oxford, but left before taking his degree to study law at Lincoln's Inn. He accompanied his school friend, Edward Joshua Cooper (1798-1863), who had a travelling carriage, a britzschka, built to his specification for the trip. Though undoubtedly inspired in part by Arthur de Capell Brooke's Travels through Sweden, Norway and Finmark, to the North Cape, in the summer of 1820 (1823), the young men had wide-ranging interests of their own. Cooper ordered the carriage so that he could travel with his scientific instruments--he was later to become a FSA on account of his astronomical observations. Parker was intrigued by the geology, botany and ornithology of Scandinavia. He also shows a particular interest in describing the uniforms of the soldiers and the quality of the military music in all the places visited. The dates are entered in the margins throughout, and there is a final itinerary, listing all of the towns visited in date order, and giving the distance between them. Parker and Cooper were accompanied by Silvestro Bossi, an artist from Rome, who had travelled before with Cooper in Egypt--drawings from which were published in Views in Eygpt and Nubia (London : J. Murray, 1824-1827?).
- Subject Terms:
- Austria -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Bossi, Silvestro.Cooper, Edward Joshua, 1798-1863.Denmark -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Europe -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Finland -- Description and travel -- 19th century.France -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Germany -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Norway -- Description and travel -- 19th century.Parker, Thomas Browne, 1797-1833.Sweden -- Description and travel -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Parker, Thomas Browne, 1797-1833, Journal of a tour through part of France, Wirtemburg, Baden, Bavaria, Austria, Saxony, Prussia, Mecklensburg, Danemark, Sweden made on a tour commencing in October 1824 through parts of Norway, Finnish Lapland, Finland, Prussia, 1824 October 24-1826 March 2
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.