IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Artists' and Amateurs' Conversazione (London, England), Entrance book, 1829 Nov. 4-1832 Oct. 17
- London, England, 1829 Nov. 4-1832 Oct. 17.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( p.) : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN72.S6 A78 1829Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The City of London Artists's and Amateurs' Conversazione, established in 1831, was preceded by an Artists's and Amateurs' Conversazione, which may have first convened in 1829. Membership in the two groups overlapped, and the former may have evolved from the latter. Cf. Arnold's magazine of the fine arts. Vol. 1, p. 173-176 (1831).
Armorial bookplate of Algernon Graves FSA on inside of upper board. Inscribed: Harry Stone Holland.
Pen and brown or black ink, and pencil.
Cover title: Artist's & Amateur's Conversazione. Entrance book.
Bound in blind-stamped black morocco. Title stamped in gilt letters on upper board. Green painted paper end-papers.
A sign-in book for a discussion group of artists and amateurs. The dates of the meetings run from 4 November 1829 to 17 October 1832. Sections for "Members Signatures" and "Visiters Signatures" (with the name of the member introducing them) on opposite pages for each meeting. A significant number of the signatures have been cut out and are housed in a separate envelope. Frequently occuring member signatures include: G.H. Adcock, Frederick Bacon, Robert Batty, Henry Behnes, Sir William Boxall, Thomas Shotter Boys, William Bradley, George Bryant Campion, Alexander Chisholm, George Clint, Scipio Clint, John Coney, William John Cooke, Richard Barrett Davis, William Giller, Robert Graves, James H. Kernot, Charles Landseer, Charles George Lewis, E.T. Parris, Philip Hutchings Rogers, Richard Rothwell, E. Rutter, Samuel Sangster, Henry Shaw, George Sidney Shepherd, Clarkson Stanfield, George Raphael Ward, William Ward, and John Wood.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- England -- London -- Societies, etc.Art and society -- England -- London.Artists' and Amateurs' Conversazione (London, England)Graves, Algernon -- Bookplate.Holland, Harry Stone -- Autograph.
- Artists' signatures -- 1829-1832.
Guestbooks -- 1829-1832.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.