Seuerall wayes of hunting, hawking and fishing according to the English manner / invented by Francis Barlow. Etched by W. Hollar.
- Additional Title(s):
Severall wayes of hunting, hawking and fishing according to the English manner
- [London] : And are to be sould by Iohn Overton, at the White Horse, without Newgate, London, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 19 x 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK25 .B37 1671+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Although the plates are signed by Hollar, only the title page and "Hare hunting", "River fishing", "Salmon fishing", and "Angling" are believed to be his work. The remaining plates are attributed to Francis Barlow.
Entirely engraved throughout.
Almost certainly an earlier state of the edition of the work published by Overton in 1671 (ESTC R36643), or a copy in which date of publication has failed to print.
The chain-lines in the laid-paper leaves are horizontal, suggesting that the etchings were printed on half-sheets of paper.
Consists of title page followed by  etched plates, with each plate including title and verse caption.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 29
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 45, no. 1
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half red morocco and red cloth by Sangorski & Sutcliffe of London.
- Subject Terms:
- Falconry -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Fishing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Overton, John, 1640-1708? -- BooksellerSangorski & Sutcliffe -- Binder.
- Etchinsg -- 1671.
- Stagg hunting
- Hare hunting
- Otter hunting
- Coursing fallow deer
- Fox hunting
- Cony catching
- Feasant hawking
- Partridge hawking
- Hern hawking
- Salmon fishing
- River fishing