IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hadlow, William, fl. 1796, General inventory of Colonel Aston's furniture, plate, linen, china &c. September the 1, 1796 , 1796-1802
General inventory of Colonel Aston's furniture, plate, linen, china &c. September the 1, 1796 / Wm. Hadlow.
- England, 1796-1802.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (, 99 p., with blanks) : 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHC79.I6 H33 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Henry Hervey Aston (1759-1798) of Aston Hall, Cheshire, was promoted to Colonel in the British Army on 3 May 1796, and commanded the 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment of Foot in the East Indies from 1796 to 1798. He died on 23 December 1798, in Madras, from a wound incurred in a duel with Major Allen. He was married to Harriet Ingram Shepheard (daughter of Charles Ingram, 9th Viscount Irvine), and had one son. The circumstances of Aston's death are chronicled in Notes and Queries, 3rd S.X., Dec. 15, 1866.
In pen and brown ink.
Bound in quarter sheep and marbled boards.
Manuscript inventory of the belongings of Colonel Henry Hervey Aston, compiled by William Hadlow, 1 September 1796. The catalog may have been compiled upon Aston's departure for service in India, where he would die (in a duel) in December, 1798. The inventory is written throughout in Hadlow's hand, in pen and brown ink. A table of contents follows the title page. Pages are numbered; all after p. 64 are blank, as are some before p. 64. Pages bearing an inventory are ruled. Some sections of the inventory specify the location of quantities of Aston's possessions, as they could be at his home in Aston (Cheshire), in London, or "with Col. Alston" (presumably taken with him to India). A number of leaves bearing writing have been excised at the beginning and end of the volume, with only stubs remaining.
Aston's large collection of plate includes numerous candlesticks, four cruet frames, a cucumber slice, a pair of silver asparagus tongs, two marrow spoons, 12 pair of steel nut crackers, and many varieties of forks, knives, and spoons. This section has an addendum recording "Plate added & returned from the East India's" with entries dated 1800, 1801, and 1802. Aston's linens include many damasks, napkins, "china cloathes", sheets, and towels. An addendum records "The different marks of the linen that is in London & Aston". The inventory of Aston's clothes includes waistcoats, breeches, pantaloons, overalls, shoes, boots, and hats, along with hunting clothes, military uniforms, and cricket clothes.
It appears that a fair amount of Aston's belongings were kept in storage, as recorded in the section titled "The inventory of Col. Aston's furniture in the care of Mr. Latham, upholsterer, Berkley Square, London, August 1, 1797". Here are recorded 99 items, many of which are themselves trunks or cases containing multiple belongings, all enumerated. Items in storage include much more clothes, toiletries, plate, linens, and pieces of furniture. A similar, but much smaller quantity of material is stored "at Mr. Hutchins', Brewer Street, in two crates".
- Subject Terms:
- Aston, Henry Hervey, 1759-1798.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Furniture -- Great Britain -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Hadlow, William, fl. 1796.Household linens -- Great Britain -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Inventories -- Early works to 1800.Personal belongings -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Plate -- Great Britain -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Porcelain -- Great Britain -- 18th century -- Catalogs.
- Inventory of the plate
- Inventory of the linen
- Inventory of Coll. Aston's cloathes London
- Inventory of servants cloathes London
- Inventory of Coll. Aston's cloathes at Aston
- Inventory of furniture at London
- Inventory of stable furniture London
- Inventory of things at Mr. Hutchins
- Inventory of china at London.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.