Survey and valuation of the several estates belonging to John Kinchant Esqr. and Emma his wife : late the property of Job Charlton Esqr., deceasd lying near to and in the town of Bishops Castle within the parishes of Bishops Castle and Lidam in the county of Salop / by J. Probert 1765.
- England, 1765.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume ( p.) : maps ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5753.S4 S87 1765Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- John Kinchant (1721-1789), infantry captain and burgess of Shrewsbury, was the third husband of Emma Charlton, heir of estates at Park Hall, near Oswestry, and Bishop's Castle, in Shropshire. At Emma's death in 1772, the estates passed to their first son, John-Charlton Kinchant. A detailed account of the transfer of estates is offered in: Reports of cases argued and determined in the High Court of Chancery, during the time of Lord Chancellow Thurlow ... from 1778 to 1794 (London, 1819).
The surveyor John Probert (ca. 1731-1818) mapped many estates in west Shropshire and portions of Montgomeryshire. In early life, he was a shoe cleaner, before moving to Powis Castle as a stable assistant. He remained employed by the Powis family from 1769 until as late as 1815. He eventually became manager of the Powis estates, along with those of the families Clive and (perhaps) Mytton. An account of Probert is available in: Silvester, R.J. "John Probert and the map of Trefnant township." The Montgomeryshire Collections 89 (2001): 163-178.
Selected exhibitions: "The Mapmaker's art: 300 years of British cartography" (Yale Center for British Art, January 17-March 12, 1989).
Bound in gilt-tooled black morocco, with gilt edges.
Manuscript survey, by John Probert, of the Shropshire estates of John Kinchant. The survey, including two maps, appear to be entirely the work of Probert, whose name appears on the title page. Tabular valuations are written in pen and black ink, with ruling in pen and red ink. The maps are drawn in pen and black ink with light use of gray wash. The present manuscript survey covers only the estates in Bishop's Castle and Lydham belonging to Kinchant. It does not appear to evaluate the Kinchant estate of Park Hall, near Oswestry.
The title page, drawn in pen and ink by Probert, features an elaborate frame incorporating illustrations of surveying tools, including a quadrant, a small case of drawing instruments, a terrestrial globe, a plane table, and a theodolite. It also frames a key to the symbols used in the accompanying maps.
While the survey and valuation list 11 estates belonging to Kinchant, there are maps for only two estates. The pagination, and a consistent reference to this pagination in the abstract at the end of the volume, suggest that maps for the other estates were never included. The two maps depict Heblands farm, an estate of 89 acres in the parishes of Bishop's Castle and Lydham, leased to William Harris; and Cunnery farm, an estate of 118 acres in the parish of Bishop's Castle, leased to William Palfrey. The maps are very detailed and show dwellings, out buildings, fences and gates, walls, gardens, orchards, hedges, pastures, arable lands, lanes, open roads, rivers, ponds, mounds, and hills. Each maps also includes a scale (in chains) and the names of neighboring estates.
The estates evaluated include: Hall farm and Bull alehouse, leased to Corbin Morris; unnamed farms, leased to Morris Pugh and William Dunn; Hope Closes farm, leased to Morris Price; Bannisters farm, leased to Thomas Drew, Mr Homes, and William Pinches; Heblands farm, leased to William Harris; and Cunnery farm, leased to William Palfrey. Tables for each evaluation record the names of fields, acreage, the quality of land (meadow, watered, garden,arable, etc.), the value per acre, the value in rent, the names of under tenants and the rents they paid in 1765, and miscellaneous observations. An "Abstract of the foregoing particluar" at the end summarizes the data. In total, the estates occupied over 539 acres, were valued at 547 pounds, and yielded nearly 600 pounds in rents.
- Subject Terms:
- Bishop's Castle (England) -- Maps.Boundaries (Estates) -- England -- Shropshire.Kinchant, Emma, d. 1772.Kinchant, John, 1721-1789.Kinchant, John-Charlton, d. 1832.Land tenure -- England -- Shropshire.Lydham (England) -- Maps.Probert, John, fl. 1764.Real property -- Great Britain -- Shropshire.Shropshire (England) -- Maps.Surveying -- Instruments.
- Maps -- England -- Shropshire.
Land surveys -- England -- Shropshire.
John Probert, Survey and Valuation of the Several Estates Belonging to John Kinchant Esqr. and Emma his Wife. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection.