- Great Britain, 1833?
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (, 253,  p., rectos only) : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6245 .C66 1833Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- In pen and black ink with some pencil. Watercolor illustrations with various color washes over black ink.
Black- and gilt-tooled brown morocco binding.
Manuscript commonplace book with numerous watercolor illustrations. The illustrations are chiefly architectural, geometric, or heraldic in nature, with numerous drawings of architectural details, including the arches and pillars typical of each of the four architectural orders, as well as elevations. Illustrations also include (p. 97) a portrait of George IV, and (p. 105) the music for "God Save the King" (the text of which appears on pp. 113-115). Another portrait, used as frontispiece, is captioned "The author or, Somebody else". The text elements include Rule Britannia and Here's a Health Bonnie Scotland to thee, extracts from sermons, a section entitled "The fate of genius", which includes an account of the life of Thomas Chatterton, some of the compiler's original verse, "Locke on enthusiasm", an account of the British Orders of Knighthood, and "an alphabetical list of words relating to the arts and sciences". A section on "Miscellaneous subjects" includes recipes for varnishes, turmeric wash, India ink, red sealing wax, and red ink, along with instructions on secret writing; how to write upon an egg; how to take impressions of plants; how to clean books; and how to make paper transparent. One leaf bears a calendar of moveable feasts; this leaf has been cut to allow the insertion of a separate slip of paper with the specific dates for any particular year; the slip actually inserted bears the dates for the year 1833.
- Subject Terms:
- Architectural drawing -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Architecture -- Details -- Pictorial works.Arne, Thomas Augustine, 1710-1778. Alfred. Rule, Britannia.Chatterton, Thomas, 1752-1770.Decorative arts -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.English poetry -- 19th century.Fasts and feasts -- Church of England.George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830 -- Portraits.God save the King.Locke, John, 1632-1704.Orders of knighthood and chivalry -- Great Britain.Recipes.
- Commonplace books -- 1833.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.