Mansfield, Elizabeth, 1965-, Too beautiful to picture , 2007
- Too beautiful to picture : Zeuxis, myth, and Mimesis / Elizabeth C. Mansfield.
- Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 232 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7760 .M27 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Myth and Mimesis in western art history -- Art history as myth -- Zeuxis myth -- Myth and Mimesis in the Renaissance -- Painting (like) Zeuxis -- Zeuxis in the academy -- Women artists and the Zeuxis myth -- Painting in the philosophical brothel -- Zeuxis in the operating room: Orlan's carnal art -- Conclusion: Zeuxis selecting models and the cultural unconscious.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and mythology.Mimesis in art.Narrative art.Zeuxis, 5th cent. B.C.