Romney, George, 1734-1802, Account book of George Romney with his banker, Thomas Greene, 1788 August 19-1798 April 6
Account book of George Romney with his banker, Thomas Greene.
- England, 1788 August 19-1798 April 6.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( p.) ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R66 A2 1788+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Thomas Greene (1737-1810), solicitor, was a lifelong friend of the painter George Romney, and also served as a legal and financial advisor to Romney. A portrait of Greene by Romney is in the collections of the National Portrait Gallery, London.
Stitched, in marbled paper wrappers.
Manuscript account book between the artist George Romney and his friend and financial advisor, Thomas Greene, covering the years 1788-1798. The first double-page spread bears the caption title "Mr. George Romney in account currant with Thos. Greene." The accounts are kept in pen and black ink throughout, in two different hands, neither of which is Romney's own.
The account book comprises eight numbered double-page spreads with debits and credits on facing pages. Regular debits include rent, insurance and a quarter share of two lottery tickets, and an increasing number of payments on behalf of Romney's son John. Few of the payments are linked to specific artworks commissioned from Romney; one of the few that does refer to a specific artwork is an entry on November 24, 1791 "By bank at Brussels for picture of Mrs. Hodges."
The accounts also include, near the end, a brief set of transactions for Major James Romney, brother of George Romney.
- Subject Terms:
- Greene, Thomas, 1737-1810.Romney, George, 1734-1802 -- Finance, Personal.Romney, George, 1734-1802 -- Friends and associates.Romney, James, 1745-1807 -- Finance, Personal.
- Account books -- Great Britain -- 18th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.