Album of pressed seaweed specimens.
- Great Britain, 1850-1857.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) ; 13 x 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSH390.5.G7 A43 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Selected exhibitions: "Ocean Flowers: Impressions from Nature" (Yale Center for British Art, 12 June-8 August, 2004)
Bound in gilt- and blind-tooled green morocco, with gilt edges. Binder's ticket: Seton, bookbinder, Edinburgh.
Bookplate of Rupert Gunnis.
Album of 50 specimens of seaweed collected in various parts of the British Isles, pressed and pasted onto slips of white paper. Each slip is annotated in brown ink with the name of the species and the location where it was collected; some slips also have the date the specimen was collected (these range from 1850 to 1857). The slips are mounted on leaves of stiff blue or brown colored paper, which have been collected and bound together to form the album. The specimens were chiefly collected in Cromarty in north-east Scotland, with a few specimens from the south-west of England and one from Jersey.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical specimens -- Collection and preservation.Botanical specimens -- Great Britain.Botanical specimens -- Scotland -- Cromarty.Cromarty (Scotland)Gunnis, Rupert -- Bookplate.Marine algae -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Marine algae -- Scotland -- Cromarty -- Specimens.Pressed flower pictures.Seton (Firm) -- Bookbinder.
Album of pressed seaweed specimens. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection.