The life and death of a race-horse : Exemplified in his various stages of existence, till his dissolution. I. When a foal with his dam. II. When a colt breaking. III. After running a race and winning a considerable sweepstakes. IV. As a hunter going out to the chace. V. As a post-chaise horse on the road. VI. His dissolution / The whole drawn and engraved in aquatinta, by Thomas Gooch, Esq.; with an essay tending to excite a benevolent conduct towards the brute creation, by the late Dr. Hawksworth. To which is now added the song of the race horse, &c.
- London : Printed for Edward Jeffery, in Pall-Mall, 1792.
- Physical Description:
- 4 p., 6 leaves of plates : ill. ; 49 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2007 9Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The plates are aquatints printed in sepia with etched titles. All bear imprint "Pubd. July 30, 1790 from Original Designs by T. Gooch, No. 4 Half Moon Street".
Not recorded by ESTC.
Caption title at head of p. 3 reads: Happiness properly estimated: or, Remarkable instances of cruelty to brutes.
At foot of t.p.: Price 15s. in boards.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 69
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 81.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in 20th century gilt-tooled red morocco, by Hatchards of London. Armorial bookplate with inscription "Ex libris Harry Twyford Peters" and motto "Veritas" on inside of upper board.
- Subject Terms:
- Etching -- Specimens -- 1792.Hatchards (Firm) -- Binder.Horses -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works.Jeffery, Edward -- Publisher.Peters, Harry Twyford, 1881-1948 -- Bookplate.Race horses -- Early works to 1800.Race horses -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- 1792.
YCBA Collections Search
Gooch, Thomas, 1750-1802, The life and death of a race-horse , 1792
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.