L'ecole des armes : avec l'explication générale des principales attitudes et positions concernant l'escrime / Dediée à Leurs Altesses Royales les Princes Guillaume-Henry & Henry-Frédéric. Par Mr. Angelo.
- A Londres : Chez R. & J. Dodsley, Pall-Mall, MDCCLXIII 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves, 47 leaves of plates : ill. ; 32 x 57 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2007 6 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2007 6 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The text also attributed to the Chevalier d'Eon. Cf. DNB, XIX, p. 1110.
Edited by Henry Angelo.
Plates engraved by Charles Hall, William Ryland, Charles Grignion, and others, after drawings by James Gwin. Plates bear imprint "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament Febry. 1763".
Angelo is the principal figure depicted in all of the drawings. Also depicted are the Earl of Pembroke, the Chevalier d'Eon, and John Hamilton Mortimer. Cf. Wingfield, M.A. A dictionary of sporting artists, 1650-1990.
James Gwin's original drawings for this work are in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings: B1984.7).
Signatures: [a]-f¹ A-3H¹ [chi]¹.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, pp. 82-83
Includes a list of subscribers (leaves d1-e1) and a final errata leaf.
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled stippled calf, with marbled end-papers. Copy 2 rebound in later cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Angelo, Domenico, 1717?-1802.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1763.Eon de Beaumont, Charles Geneviève Louis Auguste André Timothée d', 1728-1810.Fencing -- Early works to 1800 -- Pictorial works.Fencing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Pictorial works.Mortimer, John Hamilton, 1740-1779Pembroke, Henry Herbert, Earl of, 1734-1794.Swordplay -- Early works to 1800 -- Pictorial works.
YCBA Collections Search
Angelo, Domenico, 1717?-1802, L'ecole des armes , MDCCLXIII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.