The antient and present state of the city of Oxford. Containing an account of its foundation, antiquity, situation, suburbs, division by wards, walls, castle, fairs, religious houses, abbeys, St. Frideswede's, churches, as well those destroyed as the present, with their monumental inscriptions; mayors, members of Parliament &c. The whole chiefly collected by Mr. Anthony à Wood; with additions by the Rev. Sir J. Peshall, Bart. ...
- London, Printed for J. and F. Rivington, 1773.
- Physical Description:
- 4 p.l., 372, 36 p., 1 . ill., 3 plates (1 fold., fold. map) 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690 O98 W6+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN 1978 +120: Contains bookplates of Laurence A. Waldron and James Comerford.
SML Byzo 71 +773w: 4th plate, rarely present wanting. Half-title wanting.
BAC : British Art Center copy imperfect: the second plate of St. Giles' Church wanting, see Lowndes, Bibliographer's manual. Extra-illustrated with views of Oxford.
MUDD Lmd42 +773w: 4th plate, rarely present wanting; also illus. on p. 327 wanting.
Map engraved by Longmate; one illustration engraved by I. Cole.
- Subject Terms:
- Comerford,James -- Bookplate.Oxford (England) -- Description and travel.Oxford (England) -- History.University of Oxford -- History.Waldron, Laurence A. -- Bookplate.
YCBA Collections Search
Wood, Anthony à, 1632-1695, The antient and present state of the city of Oxford, 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.