Soane, John, 1753-1837, Designs for public improvements in London and Westminster , MDCCCXXVII 
Designs for public improvements in London and Westminster / by John Soane ...
- London : Printed by James Moyes, Took's Court, Chancery Lane, MDCCCXXVII 
- Physical Description:
- , 21,  pages, 33 [i.e. 34] leaves of plates : illustrations ; 50 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 97Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- This collection of designs grew directly out of Soane's anger at his treatment by Parliament over the new Westminster law courts, and his dissatisfaction with public reactions to some of his other projects. He was also inspired by a desire to publish a compendium of his large-scale designs for London, and hence to justify and popularise his architectural works.
Etched by John Coney with lettering by W. Kersting.
With a plate numbered 7F between plates 7 and 8.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3091
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 316.1
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary navy quarter calf and maroon boards; rebacked. Armorial bookplates: Richard Blackett Beaumont; Nathan of Churt. Presentation inscription from the author to the Right Honble. J.C. Hervier.
- Subject Terms:
- Architects -- Great Britain.Architecture -- Designs and plans.Architecture -- England -- London.Bank of England.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Civic improvement -- England -- London.Great Britain. Parliament.Hervier, J. C. -- Presentation inscription from J. Soane.Nathan, Harry Louis Nathan, Baron -- Bookplate.Soane, John, 1753-1837 -- Presentation inscription. to J.C. Hervier.Westminster (London, England) -- Civic improvements.
- Etchings -- 1827.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.