Jones, Shirley, Nocturne for Wales , 1987
- Nocturne for Wales : five short stories / Shirley Jones.
- London : Red Hen Press, 1987.
- Physical Description:
- 29,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.J66 N63 1987+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The image is Cwmparc Colliery, one of five aquatints and short stories about my childhood in the Rhondda Valley, South Wales. Colliery pit-heads and coal tips were as much a feature of the landscape, then, as its chapels and pubs and black river. The pits have gone now; the valley is green again, the river is clear, but it has lost its chaacter. I find it hard to relate to this Rhondda"--Patkus.
Title page printed in red and black.
"The initial letters of each of the five short stories from 'Nocturne for Wales' are printed from wood-cuts by Tony Crossley for this new edition from The Red Hen Press. Shirley Jones wrote these stories about her Welsh childhood in 1981, & published them in an edition of 200. Twenty sets were presented with etchings, printed on Barcham Green handmade paper, in an edition of 70. The revised stories, along with three of her early poems about the Rhondda, are printed here on Rives mouldmade paper, in 14-pt Baskerville type. Bound in rust red cloth with parchment labels, 30 copies have simple slip cases. Numbers 31-50, only, are available with the original sets of etchings, housed together in matching book-form boxes...."--Colophon.
Patkus, R.D. Shirley Jones and the Red Hen Press, 12
BAC: British Art Center copy is No. 5 of 50, signed by the artist.
- Unsound waves -- Bella -- Bread of heaven -- Sheep trial, dog trial -- Umbrellas.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Jones, Shirley.Red Hen Press. -- Publisher.Short stories, English.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1987
- Livres d'artistes.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.