Wood engravings : a selection, 1960 to 1977 / Richard Shirley Smith ; with a foreword by Laurence Whistler.
- Pinner, Mx. England : Cuckoo Hill Press, 1983.
- Physical Description:
- 73 p. : chiefly ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 12Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "This first retrospective of Shirley Smith's wood engravings is by Sir Laurence Whistler (1912-2000), the brother of Rex Whistler (1905-1944), who remarks, 'It needs only a glance through these pages to discover that here is an artist whose scope is not narrow. With equal skill he handles the charming simplicities of doll's house furniture, portraits, houses, food, insects, animals, flowers--and scenes of imagination. In the end it is the last-named that catches and holds the attention. He seems to have discovered his true gift while interpreting, or simply responding to, poetry."--Moss.
"Seven copies on Hosho and 180 copies on Basingwerk Parchment have been printed by DAvid Chambers at the Cuckoo Hill Press, Ravelston, South View Road, Pinner, Mx, England."--Colphon.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 12
"Books illustrated with wood engravings [by Richard Shirley Smith], 1962-1977": p. 11-.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 50 of 187 (on Basingwerk Parchment), signed by Richard Shirley Smith. Bound in quarter leather with gray buckram boards in gray buckram slipcase. With three prospectuses (each of 1 leaf) announcing the publication, laid in.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Cuckoo Hill Press -- Publisher.Shirley Smith, Richard.Wood-engraving -- Great Britain.
- Wood engravings -- 1983.
Prospectuses -- England -- 1983.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.