Constable, John, 1776-1837, Letter to John Thomas Smith, 1797, between January 16 and March 23
- Letter to John Thomas Smith.
- 1797, between January 16 and March 23.
- Physical Description:
- 1 item (1 p.) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497 C7 L47 1843+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for the host volume, Memoirs of the life of John Constable.
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Autograph letter, signed, from John Constable to John Thomas Smith. The letter is written on one side of one sheet, which has been inlaid to size and bound in a copy of Memoirs of the life of John Constable, by Charles Robert Leslie (London : James Carpenter, 1843). Undated, the letter was written in 1797, between January 16 and March 23.
John Constable first met the printmaker and draftsman John Thomas Smith in the summer of 1796. Smith had evidently given young Constable some instructions in a previous letter on the technique of etching. In the present manuscript letter, Constable writes: "I think you told me that you made your aqua fortis with spts of nitre with two parts water, I suppose you ment the acid spts. I bought some aqua fortis at a neighbouring town and believe have spoilt one plate with it not knowng what strength it was of." The letter ends, on the bottom half of the page, with a sketch (in pen and black ink) of the view looking northeast from one of the windows at the back of Constable's family home in East Bergholt, Suffolk.
Written in pen and black ink.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain -- Correspondence.Constable, John, 1776-1837 -- Correspondence.Constable, John, 1776-1837 -- Homes and haunts -- England -- East Bergholt.East Bergholt (England) -- In art.Etching -- Technique.Smith, John Thomas, 1766-1833 -- Correspondence.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.