IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Birch, G, Original sketches by an officer, 1840?
Original sketches by an officer.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) : ill. ; 18 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8230 .B57 1840+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Selected exhibitions: "Recent Acquisitions and Gifts" (Yale Center for British Art, May 19-August 15 2005)
Illustrations in colored wash over pen and brown ink; captions in graphite or pen and brown ink.
Paper watermark dated: 36.
Bound in quarter red morocco with textured blue cloth covers.
Album of twenty highly finished watercolors, all captioned in pencil or ink. Title leaf is inscribed: G. Birch, Jany. 1840. The artist was probably a seaman as the scenes are very specifically described in terms of the technical details of seamanship, location, and weather conditions. The shipping is portrayed with great attention to the rigging, flags, &c. British ships and locations predominate, with some sketches of Dutch, American, and Portuguese vessels.
- Subject Terms:
- Marine art -- 19th century.Ships in art.
- Marine paintings.
- Getting under weigh
- Portuguese Merchant Brig. Blowing fresh. Off Oporto
- Revenue Cutter standing towards the Frigate
- Fresh breezes and squalls
- Frigate in chase. Moderate breeze
- Near Flushing
- Man of War Brig at the Little Nore. Light airs
- Light airs inclinable to calm
- Dutch Galliott with Frigate at anchor. Fresh breeze
- Lugger in stays. Fresh breeze
- Giving to break a water spout
- Coming out of harbour under her 3 topsails. Moderate breeze
- Fresh breeze. Nearly sunset
- Viriginia Pilot Boat off the Chesapeak
- Arundel in Norway
- Edystone Light-House off Plymouth
- Man of War close to the wind upon the starboard tack
- West Indiaman
- Lugger beating to windward
- Moderate breeze off Dover.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.