Varnish maker's recipe book, 1861 Feb 5-1863 May 9
- Varnish maker's recipe book.
- London, 1861 Feb 5-1863 May 9.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (83,  p.) : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1530 .V37 1861Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Notebook kept by one of the 10 or so varnish factories existing in Belle Isle, Islington, London in the mid-19th century. An insight into the realities of making varnishes for carriages, black japan varnish, gold size, enamel, &c., with meticulous detailing of the procedures carried out each day, pen and ink illustrations of the boilers and other equipment, recipes, and notes of customers and suppliers (including Winsor & Newton and Blundell Spence & Co. for their colors). Caption title at head of p. 1 reads "Minutes of each days manufacture commencing 5 February 1861". Leaves ruled. Not all pages are numbered, and not all numbered pages bear text. Most of the illustrations of equipment and machinery are annotated with the dimensions. The notes of suppliers include prices paid for each individual item.
Pen and brown ink; some grey wash.
Gilt tooled brown morocco-style binding; marbled end-papers; text block edges marbled.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.Industrialization -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Islington (London, England) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.Manufacturing industries -- Great Britain -- London -- Islington -- 19th century.Varnish and varnishing -- 19th century.Varnish industry -- Great Britain -- London -- Islington -- 19th century.Workshop recipes -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.