Mission from Cape Coast Castle to Ashantee : with a statistical account of that kingdom, and geographical notices of other parts of the interior of Africa / by T. Edward Bowdich.
- Additional Title(s):
Mission to Ashantee
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, 1819.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 512 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., map, facsim., music ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT507 .B69 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Half title: Mission to Ashantee.
Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Cleveland-Row, St. James's, London.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 279
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 95
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in half calf with marbled boards. Bookplate: W.H. Darby. Autograph: Mary Curteis. 1821.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, West -- Description and travel.Ashanti (African people)Curteis, Mary -- Autograph, 1821.Darby, W. H. -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1819.Murray, John -- Publisher.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
- Contents of the plates: Map shewing the discoveries & improvements in the geography of Western Africa
- (Map from Dapper)
- Captain in his War Dress
- (Facsimile of announcement in English and Arabic.)
- First day of the Yam Custom
- Oldest House in Coomassee
- Part of the quarters of the mission
- Odumata's sleeping room
- Inner square of Apookoos House
- Part of a Piazza in the Palace
- Part of Adoom Street
- Kings sleeping room
- Ichnographical sketch of Coomassie, with the principal streets and the situations of remarkable houses
- Ashantee Music
- Ashantee music comtinute
- Empoongwa Song.