Applied sciences, or, Sciences applied, 1849
- Applied sciences, or, Sciences applied.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Applied sciences
- Great Britain, 1849.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1475 .A67 1849Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Sketchbook containing humorous pen and ink illustrations by an unknown artist. The first 10 leaves have illustrations depicting various scientific principles through comic scenes; for example, "Friction, floatation and application" depicts soldiers sliding down a cliff and then crossing a river either by floating on a drum or by using stilts. The final 6 leaves depict two examples of activities (generally one from the "male" realms of the military, travel, or crime and punishment, and one from the "female" realms of sewing and handicrafts) which, although entirely different, bear the same name, with an explanatory four-line verse. Title and head-piece on upper wrapper; illustration of men loading barrels onto a cart on inside of lower wrapper.
Illustrations in pen and brown ink with some graphite.
Stitched into paper wrappers.
- Friction, floatation and application -- The syphon and The exhausted receiver -- Optics and acoustics. -- Hydraulics. -- Design. Caution -- Reflection. It is quite his own fault if he is not happy -- Society (Club) -- Equilibrium -- The Horrorry -- Protection -- Whipping -- Pinking -- Crimping -- Gaufre-ing or Go far-ing -- Fare worsing & Fair worseing. -- Gathering.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Satire, English.Scientific illustration -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Scientific recreations -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Ink drawings.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.