Geometry exercise book.
- England, circa 1780.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (71 p.) : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA461 .G46 1780Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Pen and brown ink; some black and green wash in diagrams.
Armorial bookplate of the Revd. William Charles Hall of Barton Turf vicarage Norfolk; ms. inscriptions "From Mrs Wood Barton Hall March 5. 1936" and "Bryan Hall from W.C.H. Smallburgh" on inside of upper board.
Binding: Quarter reversed calf binding with marbled paper covers.
An 18th century manuscript exercise book. Includes sections on "Geometrical definitions", "Geometrical problems", "Division of land", "Duodecimals or cross-multiplication" and "Gauging", each with caption title. Written with frequent calligraphic flourishes. Includes numerous diagrams, many depicting agricultural fields with the edges picked out in green, brown, or black wash. Three separate leaves of geometrical figures laid in.
- Subject Terms:
- Duodecimal system -- Early works to 1800.Gaging -- Early works to 1800.Geometrical drawing -- Early works to 1800.Geometry -- Early works to 1800.Geometry -- Problems, exercises, etc.Geometry -- Study and teaching -- Early works to 1800.Hall, Barton -- Presentation inscription from Mrs. Wood, 5 March 1936.Hall, Bryan -- Presentation inscription from W. C. H. Smallburgh.Hall, William Charles -- Bookplate.School notebooks -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Smallburgh, W. C. H. -- Presentation inscription to Bryan Hall.Wood, Mrs. -- Presentation inscription to Barton Hall, 5 March 1936.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Ink drawings -- British -- 18th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.