British vision : observation and imagination in British art, 1750-1950 / edited by Robert Hoozee with introductory essays by John Gage and Timothy Hyman.
- Additional Title(s):
Observation and imagination in British art, 1750-1950
- Brussels : Mercatorfonds ; c2007.
Ghent : Museum voor Schone Kunsten, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- 423 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), facsims., ports. ; 32 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6767 .B78 2007 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.Reference LibraryN6767 .B78 2007 (LC)+ OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This book was published on the occasion of the exhibition ...Museum voor Schone Kunsten Ghent, 6 October 2007 - 13 January 2008"--T.p. verso.
Joseph Wright of Derby, A philosopher lecturing on the Orrery / J. Gage.--Joseph Highmore, Mr. Oldham and his guests / M. Postle.--Ford Madox Brown, Work / T. Barringer.--James Gillray, The Faro table / T. Hyman.--Walter Sickert, L'Ennui, D. Peters Corbett.--Bill Brandt, Young housewife, Bethnal Green /M. Haworth-Booth --Thomas Jones, Buildings in Naples /M. Evans.--Thomas Girtin, View on the River Wharfe / A. Lyles.--John Constable, Flatford Mill / R. Hoozee.--Ford Madox Brown, An English autumn afternoon / J. Treuherz.--Roger Fenton, Double Bridge on the Machno / M. Haworth-Booth.--Paul Nash, Landscape of the Vernal Equinox (III) / D.F. Jenkins.--Victor Pasmore, The Snowstorm: spiral motif in black and white / A. Depmsey.--William Blake, The sea of time and space / D. Bindman.--John Martin, The Deluge / A. Trumble.--J.M.W. Turner, Interior of a great house: the drawing room, East Cowes Castle / I. Warrell.--William Holman Hunt, The scapegoat / C. Newall.--Jacob Epstein, Consummatum Est, R. Upstone.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 413-416) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, British -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Art, British -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Art, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Art, British -- Exhibitions.
- Society: Changing society
- British humour
- Modern life
- Landscape: Points of view
- Everyday landscape
- Atmosphere and detail
- Modern landscape
- The visionary.