Blome, Richard, -1705, A description of the island of Jamaica , 1672
- A description of the island of Jamaica : with the other isles and territories in America, to which the English are related, viz. Barbadoes, St. Christophers, Nievis or Mevis, Antego, St. Vincent, Dominica, Montserrat, Anguilla, Barbada, Bermudes, Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New-York, New England, New-Found-Land : taken from the notes of Sr. Thomas Linch, Knight, governour of Jamaica, and other experienced persons in the said places. Illustrated with maps / published by Richard Blome.
- London : Printed by T. Milbourn, and sold by the book-sellers of London and Westminster, 1672.
- Physical Description:
- , 192 p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill. (maps) ; 15 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1870 .B56 1672Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The words "Barbadoes, ... Anguilla," and "Barbada, ... New-Found-Land." are bracketed together in two columns on title page.
The maps are of Barbados, Carolina & Virginia. Cf. BM.
Signatures: A⁴ B-N⁸.
T.p. enclosed in a plain rule-border.
Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), B3208B
BM (compact ed.), v. 3, 1013
Burden, P. D. Mapping North America II, p. 13
Errata: on leaf [A]4v.
BAC: British Art Center copy has bookplate of Samuel Latham Mitchill Barlow and gilt stamped blue morocco book label of Frank C. Deering on front pastedown. Bound in quarter red morocco with marbled paper covers; marbled end-papers; gilt edges.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Barbados -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Barlow, Samuel L. M. (Samuel Latham Mitchill), 1826-1889 -- Bookplate.Deering, Frank Cutter, 1866-1939 -- Bookplate.Jamaica -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States -- Description and travel.West Indies -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1672.
Woodcuts -- 1672.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.