A description of the island of Jamaica : with the other isles and territories in America, to which the English are related, viz. Barbadoes, St. Christophers, Nievis or Mevis, Antego, St. Vincent, Dominica, Montserrat, Anguilla, Barbada, Bermudes, Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New-York, New England, New-Found-Land : taken from the notes of Sr. Thomas Linch, Knight, governour of Jamaica, and other experienced persons in the said places. Illustrated with maps / published by Richard Blome.
- London : Printed by T. Milbourn, and sold by the book-sellers of London and Westminster, 1672.
- Physical Description:
- , 192 p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill. (maps) ; 15 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1870 .B56 1672Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- The words "Barbadoes, ... Anguilla," and "Barbada, ... New-Found-Land." are bracketed together in two columns on title page.
The maps are of Barbados, Carolina & Virginia. Cf. BM.
Signatures: A⁴ B-N⁸.
T.p. enclosed in a plain rule-border.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), B3208B
English short title catalogue, R7437
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 3, 1013
Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, p. 13
Errata: on leaf [A]4v.
BAC: British Art Center copy has bookplate of Samuel Latham Mitchill Barlow and gilt stamped blue morocco book label of Frank C. Deering on front pastedown. Bound in quarter red morocco with marbled paper covers; marbled end-papers; gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Barbados -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Barlow, Samuel L. M. (Samuel Latham Mitchill), 1826-1889 -- Bookplate.Deering, Frank Cutter, 1866-1939 -- Bookplate.Jamaica -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States -- Description and travel.West Indies -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1672.
Woodcuts -- 1672.
Wilde Americk - Discovery and Exploration of the New World, 1500-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-09-27 - 2001-09-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]