Visscher, Nicolaes, 1649-1702, Insulae Americanae in Oceano Septentrionali ac regiones adiacentes , ca. 1682]
- Insulae Americanae in Oceano Septentrionali ac regiones adiacentes : a C. de May usque ad Lineam Aequinoctialem / per Nicolaum Visscher.
- [Amsterdam : Nicolaes Visscher, ca. 1682]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : hand col. ; 44.8 x 55.1 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2015 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:9 936 000] -- (W 100°0ʹ--W 57°30ʹ / N 38°40ʹ--S 5°0ʹ).
- BEIN Cross 85 1650A: Mounted on linen. Sheet measures 50.7 x 62.8 cm. Ms. no. in upper right corner: 147. Cross Collection no. 232.
Shows the West Indies and Central America from Florida to the northern part of South America, including boundaries, settlements and rivers.
"Cum Privilegio Ordinum Hollandiae et Westfrisiae."
Relief shown pictorially.
Includes scales in milliaria germanica, hispanica, and gallica.
Appears in Visscher's Atlas minor.
Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, 531 (state 2)
Phillips, List of maps of America in the Library of Congress, p.1054.
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound en plano (unfolded) as map 89 in part 2 of a composite atlas issued by Nicolaes Visscher with title: Atlas minor, sive, Geographia compendiosa, ca. 1716 (Folio C 2015 1) (the numbering written in black ink at top right). Hand-colored, with use of gold in the neat line and to mark select borders.
- Subject Terms:
- Caribbean Area -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Coasts -- North America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Coasts -- South America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Mexico, Gulf of -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.West Indies -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.