Leppert, Richard D, Sound judgment , c2007
Sound judgment : selected essays / by Richard Leppert.
- Aldershot, Hants, England ; Ashgate, c2007.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 333 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryML3800 .L62 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 322-326) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Music -- History and criticism.Music -- Philosophy and aesthetics.
- Introduction : judging sound
- Aurality. On reading Adorno hearing Schubert (2005) ; Opera, aesthetic violence, and the imposition of modernity : Fitzcarraldo (2007) ; Everybody's lonesome for somebody : age, the body, and experience in the music of Hank Williams (1990) / [co-authored with George Lipsitz] ; Gender sonics : the voice of Patsy Cline (forthcoming, 2008)
- Visuality. The prodigal son : Teniers and Ghezzi (1974) ; Concert in a house : musical iconography and musical thought (1979) ; Imagery, musical confrontation and cultural difference in early l8th-century London (1986) ; Male agony : awakening conscience (1993) ; The musician of the imagination (2004)
- Practice. Music teachers of upper-class amateur musicians in eighteenth-century England (1985) ; Music and the body : dance, power, submission (1988)
- Utopia. Nature and exile : Adorno, Mahler, and the appropriation of kitsch (2005) ; Four hands, once again (2005) / [by Theodor W. Adorno, translated by Jonathan Wipplinger] ; Four hands, three hearts : a commentary (2005) ; Music pushed to the edge of existence (Adorno, listening, and the question of hope) (2005).