Leppert, Richard D, Sound judgment , c2007
Sound judgment : selected essays / by Richard Leppert.
- Aldershot, Hants, England ; Ashgate, c2007.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 333 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryML3800 .L62 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 322-326) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Music -- History and criticism.Music -- Philosophy and aesthetics.
- Introduction : judging sound
- Aurality. On reading Adorno hearing Schubert (2005) ; Opera, aesthetic violence, and the imposition of modernity : Fitzcarraldo (2007) ; Everybody's lonesome for somebody : age, the body, and experience in the music of Hank Williams (1990) / [co-authored with George Lipsitz] ; Gender sonics : the voice of Patsy Cline (forthcoming, 2008)
- Visuality. The prodigal son : Teniers and Ghezzi (1974) ; Concert in a house : musical iconography and musical thought (1979) ; Imagery, musical confrontation and cultural difference in early l8th-century London (1986) ; Male agony : awakening conscience (1993) ; The musician of the imagination (2004)
- Practice. Music teachers of upper-class amateur musicians in eighteenth-century England (1985) ; Music and the body : dance, power, submission (1988)
- Utopia. Nature and exile : Adorno, Mahler, and the appropriation of kitsch (2005) ; Four hands, once again (2005) / [by Theodor W. Adorno, translated by Jonathan Wipplinger] ; Four hands, three hearts : a commentary (2005) ; Music pushed to the edge of existence (Adorno, listening, and the question of hope) (2005).