Music in the British provinces, 1690-1914 , c2007
Music in the British provinces, 1690-1914 / edited by Rachel Cowgill and Peter Holman.
- Aldershot, England ; Ashgate, c2007.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 403 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryML25 .M85 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Concerts -- Great Britain -- History.Music -- Societies, etc.
- 'A pretty knot of musical friends' : the Ferrar brothers and a Stamford music club in the 1690s / Bryan White
- Music in the Minster Close : Edward Finch, Valentine Nalson, and William Knight in early eighteenth-century York / David Griffiths
- A little light on Lorenzo Bocchi : an Italian in Edinburgh and Dublin / Peter Holman
- Disputing choruses in 1760s Halifax : Joah Bates, William Herschel, and the Messiah Club / Rachel Cowgill
- The role of gentlemen amateurs in subscription concerts in north-east England during the eighteenth century / Roz Southey
- The string quartet in eighteenth-century provincial concert life / Meredith McFarlane
- John Baptist Malchair of Oxford and his collection of 'national music' / Susan Wollenberg
- Music of rural byway and rotten borough : a study of musical life in mid-Wiltshire, c. 1750-1830 / Christopher Kent
- Mr White, of Leeds / Robert Demaine
- The Larks of Dean : amateur musicians in northern England / Sally Drage
- Finding themselves : musical revolutions in nineteenth-century Staffordshire / Sarah E. Taylor
- Lost luggage : Giovanni Puzzi and the management of Giovanni Rubini's farewell tour in 1842 / E. Bradley Strauchen-Scherer
- Outside the cathedral : Samuel Sebastian Wesley, local music-making, and the provincial organist in mid-nineteenth-century England / Peter Horton
- Music for St Cuthbert, 'patron saint of the faithful north' : the musical repertory of St Cuthbert's Catholic Church, Durham, 1827-1910 / Thomas Muir
- That monstrosity of bricks and mortar : the town hall as a music venue in nineteenth-century Stalybridge / Rachel Milestone
- The provincial musical festival in Britain in nineteenth century England : a case study of Bridlington / Catherine Dale
- Educating England : networks of programme-note provision in the nineteenth century
- Christina Bashford.