Music in the British provinces, 1690-1914 , c2007
Music in the British provinces, 1690-1914 / edited by Rachel Cowgill and Peter Holman.
- Aldershot, England ; Ashgate, c2007.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 403 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryML25 .M85 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Concerts -- Great Britain -- History.Music -- Societies, etc.
- 'A pretty knot of musical friends' : the Ferrar brothers and a Stamford music club in the 1690s / Bryan White
- Music in the Minster Close : Edward Finch, Valentine Nalson, and William Knight in early eighteenth-century York / David Griffiths
- A little light on Lorenzo Bocchi : an Italian in Edinburgh and Dublin / Peter Holman
- Disputing choruses in 1760s Halifax : Joah Bates, William Herschel, and the Messiah Club / Rachel Cowgill
- The role of gentlemen amateurs in subscription concerts in north-east England during the eighteenth century / Roz Southey
- The string quartet in eighteenth-century provincial concert life / Meredith McFarlane
- John Baptist Malchair of Oxford and his collection of 'national music' / Susan Wollenberg
- Music of rural byway and rotten borough : a study of musical life in mid-Wiltshire, c. 1750-1830 / Christopher Kent
- Mr White, of Leeds / Robert Demaine
- The Larks of Dean : amateur musicians in northern England / Sally Drage
- Finding themselves : musical revolutions in nineteenth-century Staffordshire / Sarah E. Taylor
- Lost luggage : Giovanni Puzzi and the management of Giovanni Rubini's farewell tour in 1842 / E. Bradley Strauchen-Scherer
- Outside the cathedral : Samuel Sebastian Wesley, local music-making, and the provincial organist in mid-nineteenth-century England / Peter Horton
- Music for St Cuthbert, 'patron saint of the faithful north' : the musical repertory of St Cuthbert's Catholic Church, Durham, 1827-1910 / Thomas Muir
- That monstrosity of bricks and mortar : the town hall as a music venue in nineteenth-century Stalybridge / Rachel Milestone
- The provincial musical festival in Britain in nineteenth century England : a case study of Bridlington / Catherine Dale
- Educating England : networks of programme-note provision in the nineteenth century
- Christina Bashford.