Mathur, Saloni, India by design , c2007
India by design : colonial history and cultural display / Saloni Mathur.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 219 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6767.5.V52 M38 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 197-209) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Indic.Art, Victorian.East Indians in art.India -- In art.Orientalism in art -- England -- History -- 19th century.Orientalism in art -- England -- History -- 20th century.
- Introduction : Colonial patterns, Indian styles
- The Indian village in Victorian space : the department store and the cult of the craftsman
- "To visit the Queen" : on display at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition of 1886
- The discrepant portraiture of empire : oil painting in a global field
- Collecting colonial postcards : gender and the visual archive
- A parable of postcolonial return : museums and the discourse of restitution
- Epilogue : Historical afterimages.