The naturalist's pocket-book, or, Tourist's companion : being a brief introduction to the different branches of natural history, with approved methods for collecting and preserving the various productions of nature / by George Graves, F.L.S., author of British Ornithology, Ovarium Britannicum, and editor of The new edition of Curtis's Flora Londinensis.
- Additional Title(s):
Naturalist's pocket book
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, Paternoster-Row, 1818.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 335,  p., 8 leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQH61 .G73 1818Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Reference book for the amateur collector with details on identifying, killing, stuffing and preserving all manner of creatures from slow worms to crocodiles.
Some of the plates signed: G.G. [i.e. George Graves] delt.
"W. & S. Graves, printers, 66, Cheapside, London."--P. 335.
BAC: British Art Center copy has bookplate of Rowland Hodgson, High Field near Sheffield. Bound in half calf with marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Collectors and collecting -- Amateurs' manuals.Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1818.Hodgson, Rowland -- Bookplate.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown -- Publisher.Natural history -- Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain.Natural history -- Technique.Naturalists -- Great Britain.Naturalists -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.W. & S. Graves -- Printer.
YCBA Collections Search
Graves, George, 1754-1839, The naturalist's pocket-book, or, Tourist's companion , 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.