Sketchbook of views in Wales, Devon, and Staffordshire,
- Sketchbook of views in Wales, Devon, and Staffordshire, 1849 June 6-1850 November 4.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. () p. : ill. ; 20 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7745 .S54 1849+Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Manuscript album of graphite sketches of castles, churches, and landscapes in Wales, Devon, and Staffordshire, by an unidentified artist. Most of the sketches are full-page and somewhat unfinished, without complete details and shading. Most are labeled and dated, and the order is largely chronological. While there are some landscape sketches, most of the subjects are architectural, featuring castles, ruins, and major houses.
Dates given with the drawings suggest at least four separate sketching tours, including two in Wales. The first tour in Wales, June 6-7, 1849, includes drawings of Chepstow Castle, Tintern Abbey, the village of Tintern, and Raglan Castle. For a tour in Staffordshire, Aug. 8-10, 1849, there are sketches of Hawkesyard Park, Ilam, and Dovedale. The artist tours Devon from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3, 1849, and sketches "the Hayes farm", Nutwell Court, Totnes, the cliffs at Sidmouth, and a number of views of Dartmouth, including details of homes and the "Butter Market". In a second tour of Wales, from Oct. 31 to Nov. 5, 1850, there are sketches of Penmon Abbey (including architectural details), Plas Mawr Hall, and a number of views of Beaumaris, including its castle, harbor, and some of its manor houses.
Notes in graphite pencil on the front and rear pastedowns of the album, perhaps in the same hand, record the Latin names of approximately 100 species of orchids, under monthly headings from February through December.
Bound in contemporary quarter roan and cloth boards. Stationer's label of Winsor & Newton, 38 Rathbone Place, Oxford Street, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles & palaces -- Great Britain.Castles -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Dartmouth (England) -- Pictorial works.Devon (England) -- Pictorial works.Manors -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Monmouthshire (Wales) -- Pictorial works.Ruins.Staffordshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Tintern (Wales) -- Pictorial works.
- Graphite drawings.
Travel sketches -- Great Britain.
Landscape drawings -- Great Britain.
Views -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.