J. S, Architectural sketchbook, 1854, May 12-1856, July 29
- Architectural sketchbook.
- France ; Great Britain 1854, May 12-1856, July 29.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( p.) : ill., 20 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA5463.S2 A73 1854+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Sketchbook containing architectural drawings, in graphite, of churches, portals, shop-fronts, carvings, etc., made during tours in northern France and Great Britain in the summer months of 1854-56. Each drawing is labeled, dated, and signed "J.S.". They are possibly the work of a practicing architect. Buildings depicted include churches and shopfronts at Rouen and Caen, the old gateway at Dieppe, St. Dunstan's at Mayfield, Bayham Abbey, Tonbridge Castle, Quarr Abbey (Isle of Wight), a medieval house at Tewksbury, Berkeley Castle, Glastonbury Abbey, and Corfe Castle.
Stationer's label: Winsor & Newtown, artists' colourmen to Her Majesty & to H.R.H. Prince Albert, 38 Rathbone Place, Oxford Street, London.
Bound in roan backed cloth boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles & palaces.Church architecture -- France -- Pictorial works.Church architecture -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Churches.Doorways -- France -- Pictorial works.Doorways -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Ruins.
- Travel sketches -- France.
Travel sketches -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.