Elegant arts for ladies : ... profusely illustrated.
- London : Ward and Lock, 158, Fleet Street; and all booksellers, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 227,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT698 .E44 1861Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title page, continued: Comprising bead work, bead and bugle work, calisthenic exercises, diaphanie, etiquette, politeness, and good breeding, feather flowers, flower painting, gilding and bronzing plaster casts, illuminated on vellum painting, imitation carved ivory, imitation oil painting, oil painting, ornamental gilt leather work, ornamental leather work, ornaments in rice shell-work, painting on velvet, Persian painting, and painting on wood, pictures in sand, pictures of birds made with their natural feathers, porcupine quill work, potichomanie, sea-weed pictures, the toilette, transparent glass panting for windows, etc., waxen fruit and flowers, weaving or plaiting hair ornaments.
Wood engravings by Dalziel.
Date of publication from Eng. cat. of books.
Printed by Adams & Gee, Middle St., West Smithfield, London.
With an added engraved t.p.
Text printed in two columns.
Eng. cat. of books, v.1, p. 229
Advertisements,  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped blue cloth, with gilt edges. Binder's ticket:: Leighton Son & Hodge, Shoe Lane, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Adams & Gee -- Printer.Beauty, Personal -- Great Britain.Botanical illustration -- Great Britain.Decorative arts -- Great Britain.Etiquette -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Handicraft -- Great Britain.Hygiene -- Great Britain.Leighton Son & Hodge -- Binder.Painting -- Study and teaching.Shellcraft.Shellwork.Ward and Lock -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1861.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.