Gibson, Joseph (Merchant), Billhead recording purchases for repairs to a trunk and items of clothing purchased by John Hancock in 1820, from Joseph Gibson, Portsmouth, 1820
- Billhead recording purchases for repairs to a trunk and items of clothing purchased by John Hancock in 1820, from Joseph Gibson, Portsmouth.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bought of Joseph Gibson, Navy and Army clothier, linen & woolen draper, hosier & hatter
- Portsmouth, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustration ; 16 x 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT497 .G53 1820 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Engraved billhead of Joseph Gibson, Portsmouth Navy and Army clothier, recording purchases made by John Hancock in 1820. Records charges made for repairs to a trunk and articles of clothing totalling £1/1/5.
"Bought of Joseph Gibson, Navy and Army clothier, linen & woolen draper, hosier & hatter. Young gentlemen fitted out for the Navy & Army & a great variety of every article required for both services. An experienced foreman from London & the best taylors always employed in the house. Gosport & 88, High Street, Portsmouth."
"Sextants, quadrants, mathemaical instruments, spy glasses, swords, dirks, belts, &c. &c. &c." and "Funerals completely furnished".
"Importer of foreign wines and spirits. Sea cots & bedding."
Signed: "John Hancock."
Completed in pen and black ink.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing trade -- Great Britain.Drapery industry -- Great Britain.Funeral rites and ceremonies -- Great Britain.Gibson, Joseph (Merchant)Hancock, John, active 1820.Hat trade -- Great Britain.Liquor industry -- Great Britain.Military uniforms -- Great Britain.Nautical instruments -- Great Britain.Portsmouth (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Wine industry -- Great Britain.Woolen goods industry -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.