Gaudio, Michael, Engraving the savage , 2008
Engraving the savage : the New World and techniques of civilization / Michael Gaudio.
- Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 207 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryN8217.I5 G38 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Publisher description
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 167-199) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- European -- Historiography.Art -- Reproduction.Difference (Philosophy) in art.Indians in art.Prints -- Technique.
- Introduction: White pebbles in the dark forest
- Savage marks: The scriptive techniques of early modern ethnography
- Making sense of smoke: Engraving and ornament in de Bry's America
- Flatness and protuberance: Reforming the image in Protestant print culture
- The art of scratch: Wood engraving and picture-writing in the 1880s.