Morris, William, 1834-1896, The defence of Guenevere, and other poems , 1875
- The defence of Guenevere, and other poems / by William Morris.
- London : Ellis & White, 29, New Bond Street, 1875.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 248 p. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5078 .D44 1875Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Alicia Faxon in memory of Richard B. Faxon, Yale BA 1949Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Printed by Robert Roberts, Boston, Lincolnshire."
"Reprinted without alteration from the edition of 1858."--Title page.
English sheets imported by Roberts Brothers and bound in Boston. Cf. Pye. Pye suggests that "an extremely unusual coincidence occurred when the English publisher hired an English printer with the same name and town of business as the American publisher. Perhaps this explains why the American publisher's imprint is not on the title-page. The printer may have believed that with his imprint on the last page, there was no need for him to add it to the title-page, not realizing he was asked to put the American publisher's imprint on the title-page."
Pye, J.W. Bibliography of American editions of William Morris, p. 35
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue cloth. Binder's label: Bound by Burn & Co. With the armorial bookplate and autograph of Thomas Wardle.
- Subject Terms:
- Burn & Co. -- Bookbinder.Wardle, Thomas -- Autograph.Wardle, Thomas -- Bookplate.
- Poems -- 1875.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.