Sketchbook of a visit to the Continent.
- [Europe], [ca. 1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sketchbook (9 drawings) : watercolor ; 24 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD919.S54 S54 1850+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Sketchbook of a tour on the Continent, possibly in Switzerland, kept by Louisa Skelly. The album is inscribed at front "Louisa S." and at rear "L. Skelly." No dates appear in the album. The work is clearly that of a young child. Six of the drawings are relatively finished full-page watercolors over graphite. The remainder are in graphite alone, some very unfinished.
The most accomplished of the watercolors depicts 12 people around a table in the garden of a holiday home. Three of the drawings show dramatic alpine scenery, including one with a large lake. One of the graphite drawings depicts two ladies (one with umbrella) sitting at the base of a monument. One page bears a number of small sketches of animals, each given a name (Margaret the fox, Ernest the cockerel, etc.), together with a drawing of a young girl labeled Louisa (presumably the artist).
- Subject Terms:
- Skelly, Louisa.Switzerland -- Pictorial works.
- Travel sketches -- Switzerland.
Travel sketches -- Europe.
Louisa Skelly, Sketchbook of a Visit to the Continent, ca. 1850. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund.