IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Two sketchbooks of architectural views,, 1834-1846
Two sketchbooks of architectural views, 1834-1846.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 27 x 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 32Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Both volumes in original marbled wrappers.
Two sketchbooks of rural architecture in England, from 1834 to 1846. The two volumes appear to be the work of two separate artists. The first is inscribed at front "R. Hasluck, 1834"; its drawings are occasionally signed R.H., and dated 1834 or 1835. The second is inscribed, in calligraphic pen and ink, "Mastr. H. Hasluck, Xmas, 1846"; drawings are sometimes signed H. Hasluck. Both sketchbooks feature drawings in graphite throughout. All drawings are relatively finished.
R. Hasluck's sketchbook, 12 p., depicts rural buildings in the vicinity of London. Most sketches are uncaptioned, but those with titles include "Market House, Kingston, Surrey" and "At Hornsey". Drawings depict roadside homes, cottages, farmhouses, and church ruins.
Drawings in H. Hasluck's sketchbook are entirely un-captioned, and sometimes feature multiple scenes per page. The 10 pages of sketches feature more drawings of cottages, larger homes, and churches, along with a number of port-side drawings depicting boats. It also features a picturesque drawing of coastal cliffs, perhaps at Dover.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Church buildings -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Harbors -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Hasluck, H.Hasluck, R.Kingston upon Thames (London, England) -- Pictorial works.
- Landscape drawings -- Great Britain.
Views -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.