IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hayter, Charles, 1761-1835, Hayter's compendium , [ca. 1826]
Hayter's compendium : Determining the natural consanguinity of colours in legitimate order of descent, by the unavoidable consequence of union or mixture of any two approximating predecessors from the three primitives down to their equilateral concentration into palpable shade. : The natural contrast to each colour, is its opposite in the scale.
- Additional Title(s):
- [London] : Publish'd as the Act directs by Joseph Dickenson, New Bond St. & sold by the author, 16 Buckingham St. Portland Place, [ca. 1826]
- Physical Description:
-  sheet : ill. ; 38 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2008 4Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- At head of title: Professor of Perspective to Her Late R.H. the Princess Charlotte of Sax Cobourg.
"This new chromatic scale, alludes to colour only, by mixture of palpable materials, within & among themselves, the effect of light must evidently be produc'd by diluting, or mixing white with them, which duly comprehended, makes the above a systematic datum, both as to the descent of colours to shade or ascent to light."--At foot of page, preceding imprint.
Engraved by Thomas Turnbull; after Charles Hayter.
The engraved plate was issued separately from any of Hayter's publications, but presumably around the time of his New Practical Treatise on the Three Primitive Colours, 1826.
- Subject Terms:
- Color -- Study and teaching.Color guides.Dickinson, Joseph -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1826.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Color wheels.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.