Hart, Vaughan, 1960-, Sir John Vanbrugh , c2008
Sir John Vanbrugh : storyteller in stone / Vaughan Hart.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 288 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.V27 H37 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- "Published for The Paul Mellon Centre for studies in British Art".
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- 18th century.Architecture, Domestic -- England.Vanbrugh, John, 1664-1726 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Preface. Tory mobs and ignorant priests
- Ch. 1. "Without thought or lecture" : the early influences on Vanbrugh
- Ch. 2. "The historicall argument" : the Order of the Garter and Vanbrugh's 'castle air'
- Ch. 3. "Agreable objects" : Vanbrugh on architecture, landscape, and mood
- Ch. 4. "The Reverend look of a temple"
- Ch. 5. "Wonder enough in the story" : Castle Howard and Blenheim
- Ch. 6. Something of the castle air" : characters in stone at Kimbolton and Seaton Delaval
- Ch. 7. "Pleas'd to storm my castle" : Englishmen's homes and castles at Kings Weston, Eastbury, Grimsthorpe, and Stowe
- Ch. 8. "A sort of child of my owne" : autobiography in stone at 'Goose-Pie' House, Greenwich and Chargate