Hart, Vaughan, 1960-, Sir John Vanbrugh , c2008
Sir John Vanbrugh : storyteller in stone / Vaughan Hart.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 288 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.V27 H37 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Published for The Paul Mellon Centre for studies in British Art".
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- 18th century.Architecture, Domestic -- England.Vanbrugh, John, 1664-1726 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Preface. Tory mobs and ignorant priests
- Ch. 1. "Without thought or lecture" : the early influences on Vanbrugh
- Ch. 2. "The historicall argument" : the Order of the Garter and Vanbrugh's 'castle air'
- Ch. 3. "Agreable objects" : Vanbrugh on architecture, landscape, and mood
- Ch. 4. "The Reverend look of a temple"
- Ch. 5. "Wonder enough in the story" : Castle Howard and Blenheim
- Ch. 6. Something of the castle air" : characters in stone at Kimbolton and Seaton Delaval
- Ch. 7. "Pleas'd to storm my castle" : Englishmen's homes and castles at Kings Weston, Eastbury, Grimsthorpe, and Stowe
- Ch. 8. "A sort of child of my owne" : autobiography in stone at 'Goose-Pie' House, Greenwich and Chargate