IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Yale University. Art Gallery, Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness , 2008
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness : American art from the Yale University art gallery / introduction by David McCullough ; essays by Jon Butler [and others] ; exhibition and catalogue organized by Helen A. Cooper [and others].
- New Haven : Yale University Art Gallery in association with Yale University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 368 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 x 31 cm
- Reference LibraryN6505 .L54 2008 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition at the Yale University Art Gallery and other venues.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Distinguished scholars shed new light on American history by examining some of the most familiar and revered objects in American art - paintings by John Trumbull, Charles Willson Peale, John Singleton Copley, Thomas Eakins, Frederic Edwin Church, Albert Bierstadt, and Winslow Homer; silver by Paul Revere and Tiffany & Co.; furniture by Alexander Roux and Henry Connelly; and photographs by William Henry Jackson and Eadweard Muybridge, among others. The authors discuss how issues of cultural heritage, patriotism, politics, moral outrage, material aspirations, and exploration shaped America's art as well as its ideas, attitudes, and traditions."--Jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, American -- Exhibitions.Art, American.Förenta staterna -- i konsten.History in art -- Exhibitions.History in art.Konst -- historia -- utställningar.KunstKunsthandwerkUnited States -- History -- Exhibitions.United States -- In art -- Exhibitions.United States.USA.
- Exhibition catalogs.
Louisville (Ky., 2008)
- An introduction / David McCullough
- American art history: the development of a discipline / Jules David Prown
- Section I: Expressions of heritage. The artistic creation of American heritage / Jon Butler ; Catalogue entries: Religious diversity, Converging cultures
- Section II: Citizenship and democracy. America coming of age / Joanne B. Freeman ; Catalogue entries: The making of a nation, Class, race, and conflict
- Section III: Cultural and material aspirations. A changing America and the emergence of a modern democratic nation / Howard R. Lamar ; Catalogue entries: Ambition and display, Education and discovery, Changing landscape and the rise of industry, Transportation and moving west, The gilded age.