The tales and fables of the late Archbishop and Duke of Cambray, author of Telemachus, in French and English : written originally for the instruction of a young prince : and now publish'd for the use of schools : to which is prefix'd an account of the author's life, extracted from the memoirs of the Chevalier Ramsay, author of The travels of Cyrus : with a particular and curious relation of the method observed in training up the young prince, even from his infancy, to virtue and learning / by Nathaniel Gifford of the Inner-Temple, gent. ; illustrated with twenty-nine copper-plates engraven by George Bickham, Junior.
- Additional Title(s):
Fables. English & French
- London : Printed for John Hawkins, and sold by John Osborn, at the Golden-Ball, in Paternoster-Row, MDCCXXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- , xxi, , 164 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ1795.F3 A2 1736Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- 29 copper plate engravings within text, engraved by George Bickham, Junior.
Text in French and English in parallel columns.
Includes head- and tail-pieces.
T.p. printed in red and black.
Advertisement for Mrs. Bellamy's boarding school for young ladies: p. , 3rd group.
Errata: p. , 3rd group.
English short title catalogue, T63311
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind-stamped speckled calf binding. Inscribed: John Carole. 1835.
- Subject Terms:
- Carole, John -- Autograph, 1835.Fables, French -- Early works to 1800.Hawkins, John -- Publisher.Osborn, John -- Bookseller.
- Etchings -- 1736.
YCBA Collections Search
Fénelon, François de Salignac de La Mothe-, 1651-1715, The tales and fables of the late Archbishop and Duke of Cambray, author of Telemachus, in French and English , MDCCXXXVI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.