Baxter's Stranger in Brighton and directory : comprising a brief, yet comprehensive historical and topographical account of the town, and immediate neighbourhood ...
- Brighton : Printed and published by the proprietor, and sold by J.F. Girton ..., J. Baxter ..., Simpkin and Marshall ... London, 1824.
- Physical Description:
- 4, [v]-lxxxiii, , -159,  p.,  leaves of plates (one folded) : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690 B78 B393 1824View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- One illustration after George Baxter; one engraved by Samuel Williams.
First appearance of George Baxter's name on a print. (see Lewis, p. 9).
Bound in original grey paper-boards, as issued. Title on front cover reads: John Baxter's Brighton Directory and stranger's guide.
Ford, J. Images of Brighton, p. 359
Lewis, C.T.C. Picture printer of the 19th century, p. 49
- Subject Terms:
- Baxter, John -- Publisher.Bibliotheca Sussexiana -- Provenance.Brighton (England) -- Directories.Brighton (England) -- Guidebooks.Girton, J.F. -- Publisher.Simpkin and Marshall -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1824.
Wood engravings -- 1824.
- (from t.p.) The directory contains I. An alphabetical arrangement of inhabitant householders. II. An alphabetical arrangement of the professions. III. A list of coaches, waggons, carts, etc.