Pierce, Helen, 1978-, Unseemly pictures , 2008
Unseemly pictures : graphic satire and politics in early modern England / Helen Pierce.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- vii, 248 p. ; ill. ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryNE628.2 .P54 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1603-1714 -- Caricatures and cartoons.Prints, English -- 17th century.
- Politics and print culture in early modern England
- Unseemly pictures: the political print and the threat of popery
- Exposed to the hatred of all men: mocking the monopolists
- Anti-episcopacy and graphic satire
- Painters and poets dare anything: civil war and the picturing of conflict
- Religion is a circle: Presbyterianism, independency and identity
- Dorislaus's debts to the past.