The writing of modern life : the etching revival in France, Britain, and the U.S., 1850-1940 / Elizabeth Helsinger ... [et al.].
- Chicago, Ill. : Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 101 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Reference LibraryNE1994 .W75 2008 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catalogue published in conjunction with an exhibition held at the Smart Museum of Art, the University of Chicago, Nov. 18, 2008-Apr. 19, 2009.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Subject Terms:
- David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art -- Exhibitions.Etching -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Etching -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Etching -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Exhibitions.
- Preface and acknowledgments
- The "writing" of modern life / Elizabeth Helsinger
- The new language of etching in nineteenth-century England / Martha Tedeschi
- Seduced by the etcher's needle : French writers and the graphic arts in nineteenth-century France / Anna Arnar
- Interlude : Bracquemond and Buhot / Allison Morehead
- Toward a Gothic vision / Peyton Skipwith
- Postlude : reflections on some impressions / Erin Nerstad
- Checklist of the exhibition.