A journey through Albania and other provinces of Turkey in Europe and Asia, to Constantinople, during the years 1809 and 1810 / by J.C. Hobhouse.
- Second ed.
- London : Printed for James Cawthorn, Cockspur Street; and sold by Sharpe and Hailes, Piccadilly; Bell and Bradfute, Edinburgh; and N. Mahon, Dublin, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. (part. folded), maps, facsims. ; 28 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDR425.B87 J78 1813a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "At Cambridge Hobhouse founded a Whig club and became the close friend of Byron, with whom in 1809 he travelled across Portugal and Spain to Gibraltar. From Malta he and Byron were encouraged by English naval and diplomatic intelligence to travel into Albania ... On returning Hobhouse published ... his account of their eastern tour, 'A Journey through Albania, and other Provinces of Turkey'"--Cf. DNB.
"The first edition was also published in 1813. The book was re-published in 1855"--Cf. Abbey.
Another issue of the second edition was printed with a completely reset title page and variant imprint: London: Printed for James Cawthorn, Cockspur Street, 1813.
Abbey, J. R. Travel, 202
DNB, v. 9, p. 941-943
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy is an uncolored copy of the second edition of Abbey T202. Bound in publisher's blue water cloth binding.
- Subject Terms:
- Albania -- Description and travel.Albanian language.Cawthorn, James -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1813.Greece -- Antiquities.Greece -- Description and travel.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1813.Turkey -- Description and travel.
- Aquatints -- 1813.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1813.
YCBA Collections Search
Broughton, John Cam Hobhouse, Baron, 1786-1869, A journey through Albania and other provinces of Turkey in Europe and Asia, to Constantinople, during the years 1809 and 1810 , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.