IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Pigal, Edmé Jean, 1798-1872, Recueil des scènes familières, et de société de Paris , 1833
Recueil des scènes familières, et de société de Paris / par J.S., Pigal, &c. &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Scènes de société
Recueil de scènes de société
- À Paris : [Gihaut & Martinet], 1833.
- Physical Description:
- 3 parts (21 leaves of plates) : all ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC715 P54 1833+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- The present work bears the same title (on printed wrappers) as a work published in 1824 by Martinet, also in three parts. The present item, however, comprises a completely different set of plates. The 21 plates here appear to be a subset of the 50 plates previously published as: Recueil de scènes de société, par Pigal (Paris: Martinet & Gihaut, 1822). See: Colas 2366; Ray, Art of the French illustrated book, 128. The plates in the present work are unnumbered.
At head of each plate: Scènes de société.
Plates signed: Pigal. Chez Gihaut et Martinet. Lith. de Langlumé.
Plates match those described in Colas 2366, except that they are unnumbered.
BAC: British Art Center copy has hand-colored lithographs. In original printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France -- Pictorial works.France -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.French wit and humor -- Pictorial works.Gihaut & Martinet -- Publisher.Paris (France) -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.Satire, French -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1833.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.