The Phaedo of Plato / translated into English by Benjamin Jowett.
- Additional Title(s):
- Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire : Printed and published at the Golden Cockerel Press, MCMXXX 
- Physical Description:
- , 78,  pages ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsB379.A5 J69 1930+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Two variants of the title page exist. One gives the name of the translator as William Jowett, a misprint. Later printings have the corrected name, Benjamin Jowett.
"This book was printed by Robert and Moira Gibbings at the Golden Cockerel Press, Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire, & completed on the 25th day of February, 1930. The text is reprinted by permission of the Oxford University Press. The ornaments and initial letters are by Eric Gill. Compositors: A.H. Gibbs and F. Young. Pressman: A.C. Cooper. The edition is limited to 500 copies."--Colophon.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 69
BAC: British Art Center has no. 420 of 500. With the corrected title page and name, Benjamin Jowett. Bound in publisher's original blue buckram.
BEIN 1975 1952: No. 477. With corrected t.p. Bookplate of Douglas Maxwell Moffat.
BEIN 1997 +187: No. 235. With uncorrected t.p. Laid in is corrected version of t.p. (with p. 15-16), and two items of correspondence relating to the misprint (dated Apr. 29 and June 13, 1930).
- Subject Terms:
- Hugo, Harold -- Ownership.Immortality (Philosophy) -- Early works to 1800.Moffat, Douglas Maxwell -- Bookplate.Private press books -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence.
Wood engravings -- 1930.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.