A catalogue of the highly valuable collection of prints and drawings, the property of the late George Baker, Esq., of St. Paul's Church Yard : the leading features of which embrace a matchless display of the works of Hogarth, ... an unequalled collection of the superior engravings of Woollett, ... chef d'oeuvres of the productions of Sir R. Strange, R. Morghen, Berwic, Volpato, Wille, ... which will be sold by auction by Mr. Sotheby at his house ... on Thursday, the 16th of June, 1825 and nine following days (Sunday excepted) at twelve o'clock each day.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of title: Prints, drawings, books of prints, copper plates, pictures, &c.
- [London] : [J. Davy, Printer], 
- Physical Description:
- , 4-71,  pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .S68 1825 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Signatures: [A]⁴(-[A1]) B-K⁴(-K4).
Advertisement (pages [3-5]) includes a brief biography of George Baker.
Below imprint: May be viewed on Monday the 13th, and catalogues, with the portrait of Mr. Baker prefixed, price 5s. had at the rooms.
Listing of the 1061 lots.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink with sale prices and buyers' names for all lots. Bound in half calf with marbled boards. Bound with Catalogue of the very choice and select library of the late George Baker, esq. of St. Paul's Churchyard ... which will be sold by auction, by Mr. Sotheby, at his house, numbers 3, Wellington Street, Strand, on Monday June 6, 1825, and two following days at twelve o'clock. [London] : J. Compton, Printer, 1825.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Baker, George, 1747-1811 -- Biography.Baker, George, 1747-1811 -- Library -- Catalogs.Book auctions -- Catalogs.Prints, British -- Catalogs.Prints, European -- Catalogs.Private libraries -- Catalogs.
- Auction catalogs.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Auction catalogs -- 1825 06 16-25.
Auction catalogs -- England -- London -- 1706.
YCBA Collections Search
Sotheby, Samuel, 1771-1842, A catalogue of the highly valuable collection of prints and drawings, the property of the late George Baker, Esq., of St. Paul's Church Yard , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.