The ruin and the sketch in the eighteenth century , c2008
- The ruin and the sketch in the eighteenth century / Peter Wagner ... [et al.].
- Trier : Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- 286 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6766 .R75 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Selected papers from two symposia held in 2004 and 2006 in Paris.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Ruins from above and from below : picturesque landscapes and urban 'pulling down houses' during the Gordon Riots / Uwe Böker -- The politics of sketching in late eighteenth-century reform writings / Christoph Houswitschka -- Sketch, illustration, and the power of imagination : aesthetic production and reception in eighteenth-century France / Shane Agin -- Les esquisses dramatiques de Diderot : pour une 'esthétique de l'inchoatif' / Sophie Marchand -- The superiority of the undone : built ruins and ruined patriots / Jonathan Lamb -- The post-Enlightenment sketch : Bernardin de Saint-Pierre's Études de la nature / Joanna Stalnaker -- Sketching from life : Philip Thicknesse's A sketch of the life and paintings of Thomas Gainsborough (1788) / Jeffrey Hopes -- Minding the gaps : ellipses in William Hogarth's narrative art / Peter Wagner -- The sketch as transgression : Greuze's Roman charity / Bernadette Fort -- Representing ruins : convention and modernity in Joseph Wright's paintings / Catherine Purcell -- The hidden stratum of the sketch : Thomas Lawrence and the geology of English portraiture in the eighteenth century / A. Cassandra Albinson -- Topographies of the imagination : Turner's sketches as acts of memory and emergence, as both studies and fragments / Pierre-François Gorse -- Reading among the ruins / Daniel Brewer -- Artificial textual ruins : position in a typology of 'fragmentation in literature' and major functions in eighteenth-century British poetry and fiction / Werner Wolf -- The progress of sketches / Daniel Brewer.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, English -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.Artists' preparatory studies -- England -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.Artists' preparatory studies -- France -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.English literature -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.French literature -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.Ruins in art -- Congresses.Ruins in literature -- Congresses.