The ruin and the sketch in the eighteenth century , c2008
The ruin and the sketch in the eighteenth century / Peter Wagner ... [et al.].
- Trier : Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- 286 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6766 .R75 2008 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Selected papers from two symposia held in 2004 and 2006 in Paris.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, English -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.Artists' preparatory studies -- England -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.Artists' preparatory studies -- France -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.English literature -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.French literature -- 18th century -- Themes, motives -- Congresses.Ruins in art -- Congresses.Ruins in literature -- Congresses.
- Ruins from above and from below : picturesque landscapes and urban 'pulling down houses' during the Gordon Riots / Uwe Böker
- The politics of sketching in late eighteenth-century reform writings / Christoph Houswitschka
- Sketch, illustration, and the power of imagination : aesthetic production and reception in eighteenth-century France / Shane Agin
- Les esquisses dramatiques de Diderot : pour une 'esthétique de l'inchoatif' / Sophie Marchand
- The superiority of the undone : built ruins and ruined patriots / Jonathan Lamb
- The post-Enlightenment sketch : Bernardin de Saint-Pierre's Études de la nature / Joanna Stalnaker
- Sketching from life : Philip Thicknesse's A sketch of the life and paintings of Thomas Gainsborough (1788) / Jeffrey Hopes
- Minding the gaps : ellipses in William Hogarth's narrative art / Peter Wagner
- The sketch as transgression : Greuze's Roman charity / Bernadette Fort
- Representing ruins : convention and modernity in Joseph Wright's paintings / Catherine Purcell
- The hidden stratum of the sketch : Thomas Lawrence and the geology of English portraiture in the eighteenth century / A. Cassandra Albinson
- Topographies of the imagination : Turner's sketches as acts of memory and emergence, as both studies and fragments / Pierre-François Gorse
- Reading among the ruins / Daniel Brewer
- Artificial textual ruins : position in a typology of 'fragmentation in literature' and major functions in eighteenth-century British poetry and fiction / Werner Wolf
- The progress of sketches / Daniel Brewer.