The lure of illustration in the nineteenth century , 2009
The lure of illustration in the nineteenth century : picture and press / edited by Laurel Brake and Marysa Demoor.
- Basingstoke [England] ; Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 279 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryNC978 .L87 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 264-276) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Magazine illustration -- England -- History -- 19th century.
- The Illuminated magazine and the triumph of wood engraving / Brian Maidment
- Accurate dreams or illustrations of desire: image and text in the Gardener's magazine (1826-44), edited by John Claudius Loudon / Sarah Dewis
- Alaric "Attila" Watts, the Fraser's portrait gallery, and William Maginn / Dacid E. Latané, Jr.
- "The original to the life": portraiture and the Northern star / Malcolm Chase
- Man and dog: text and illustration in Dicken's The old curiosity shop / Beryl Gray
- Elizabeth Gaskell: journalism and letters / Joanne Shattock
- Among the unknown public: Household words, All the year round and the mass-market weekly periodical in the mid-nineteenth century / Lorna Huett
- Often taken where a tract is refused: T.B. Smithies, the British workman, and the popularisation of the religious and temperance message / Frank Murray
- Seductive visual studies: scientific focus and editorial control in The Woman in white and All the year round / Laurie Garrison
- Depicting gentlemen's fashions in the Tailor and cutter, 1866-1900 / Christopher Kent
- Science and the timeliness of reproduced photographs in the late nineteenth-century periodical press / James Mussell
- Aestheticism on the cheap: decorative art, art criticism, and cheap paper in the 1890s / Linda K. Hughes
- Putting women in the boat in the Idler (1892-1898) and TO-DAY (1893-1897) / Anne Humphreys
- Images of Englishness: the Daily chronicle and "proposed laureates" to succeed Tennyson / Edward H. Cohen.