Stewart, Rachel, 1959-, The town house in Georgian London , 2009
The town house in Georgian London / Rachel Stewart.
- New Haven : Yale University Press for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 272,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNA7332 .S74 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 243-261) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture and society -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Home ownership -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Row houses -- Social aspects -- England -- London.
- Introduction. Questioning the town house
- Pt. 1. Ch. 1. Occupying the West End
- Ch. 2. Owning, using, passing on : the West End house as property type
- Ch. 3. Buying and affording the West End house
- Pt. 2. Ch. 4. Private contentment, public disquiet
- Ch. 5. The town house dismissed
- Ch. 6. Making architecture of the town house
- Conclusion. The town house reassessed